Deer & Doe Plantain Shirt

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Like all the cool kids in the blogosphere, I made a Plantain tshirt!

This is a free pattern released by French company Deer & Doe.  Unfortunately I never learned fluent French from my full blooded French grandmother.  Lucky for me, the pattern instructions come in both English and French.  Also lucky for me, the adjustments I needed for the pattern to fit me have already been covered by U&Mii!  The pattern only goes up to a European size 46, which would not fit my lovely chest ladies.  Nor my bodacious curvy hips.  So, I slashed and spread my way to a Plantain that fit.

I used this awesome two sided rayon blend jersey from Joanns.
It's SO SOFT and SO PRETTY.  It also comes in a bunch of colors.  Magic!  However!  It was kind of a PITA to do anything with.  It frayed in the wash.  Yes, a jersey that frayed.  It got little teal strings and fuzzies on the rest of my laundry.  I think it's because it's sort of two fabrics stuck together, and separately they are kind of flimsy.  So the edges frayed.  

Mary over at Idle Fancy made a super cute Lady Skater dress of this same fabric.  I took a page out of her book and used the polka dots as my "right side" but the stripes as coordinating pieces on the neckline and cuffs.

That brings me to another change I made to the Plantain shirt.  I'm not a fan of elbow patches, so I left them off, but to add more visual interest I did add cuffs to the sleeves.  I also shortened the 3/4 sleeve by about an inch to accommodate the lengths added by the cuffs.  I actually used my Lady Skater pattern piece for the cuffs and they fit perfectly.  

Because the Lady Skater instructions are basically genius when adding the neckline, so I used that technique to add the neckline.  If you haven't made a Lady Skater, the neckline is added flat instead of in the round.  It makes sewing the neckline on basically fool proof. Why take a risk and do it any other way?

I love the final product.  It's a comfy tshirt with enough room at the hem to hide imperfect bulges, while still flattering the figure.
So there you have it.  If you've never sewn with knits, this is a great place to start and you'll end up with a super cute every day shirt!

3 comments

  1. Oooh … that's a lovely Plantain! So glad you had a good experience with your extreme pattern slashing … I think this kind of slashing it makes you a much braver seamstress! I've now made another two versions of the pattern … one with some lovely patch pockets in a tunic length and then a crazy disco leopard print version – if it ever stops raining I'll get some pics and post on the blog tonight. Happy sewing and keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do wish I had added a little length to make up for the added width, whoops. Instead of the recommended hem I did a narrow hem, and luckily I am quite short. Hope to see pictures of your new versions soon!

      Delete

I would love to know your thoughts! Leave a comment here.