Looking Ahead

Saturday, January 3, 2015

I feel like I'm becoming a true sewist because I have an ever expanding sewing queue, as well as a small fabric stash, most of which with designated pattern plans.  I keep track of my queue and wish list on my Pinterest boards.  My Sewing Queue board includes patterns I own and have the fabric for.  As soon as I finish a project I move it over to Things I have Sewn.  The third board I refer to often is the Things I Want to Sew board.  Here I can keep track of patterns that I want to buy, or note that I already own it and need to buy fabric for it.  Owning a pattern without having fabric is a new thing for me.  Black Friday/Cyber Monday and other holiday related sales were so irresistible that I bought several for myself to have handy.  I did, however, also buy lots of fabric for patterns I knew I wanted to sew in the future.  Consequently, I now have quite the list of things to make.  Currently I'm still working on two straggler Christmas presents that I need to be finished, and Hubs is waiting for some PJ pants to be made.  He also has asked me to make a sort of roof for his work cubicle to block out light as it gives him headaches.  For this project I plan on practicing a flat felled seam since it would prevent any light from leaking through the seam.

Once all the non-selfish sewing is complete, I plan on diving head first back into glorious selfish, selfish sewing.  Which project should I start first??

One of two top priority projects is my Deer & Doe Bruyere shirt.  I cannot.wait. to make this top.  I've held onto the pattern and my glorious fabric for several months.  First because I was scared to make it.  I've never made a button down top.  I've only made a few button holes.  I've never made a traditional style collar.  I bought the most glorious fabric from Blackbird Fabrics.  It's light grey with white dots stretch cotton shirting and is going to make the most luxurious Bruyere ever.
My next top priority are my Ginger jeans by Closet Case Files.  I need new jeans desperately.  To buy or to sew?  Definitely to sew.  Though I might have to buy a pair just so I don't look like a hobo until I can make my Gingers.  I bought some stretch denim with a Black Friday sale, I think it is from Fabric.com but I'm not sure.  They weren't able to send me continuous yardage I requested so hopefully I can make it work.  I think they sent me two yards and a half yard separately.  Since I'll need to shorten the inseam, I'm hoping I'll be able to make it work with the yardage I have.
Further down on the priority list is another Closet Case Files pattern, the Nettie bodysuit.  I've never worn a bodysuit.  I mean, I wore leotards when I was a kid in ballet/gymnastics classes, but when bodysuits were popular in the 90s I never wore one.  Now it seems quite practical to me.  I want to start wearing high waisted skirts, and a bodysuit would go perfectly!  I bought purple fabric for my Nettie.
Finally, in my immediate queue, I have the Betsy skirt by Bluegingerdoll.  I bought some really nice black and blue pinstripe suiting for this, but I think to go with my above Nettie, I'm going to use a grey pinstripe suiting that I used for my Colette Patterns Dahlia (unblogged, but check it out on Instagram!).  This way I'll have a complete outfit.  Later on I can make another Nettie in grey or black and make another Betsy with the black and blue suiting.  Or I can make a blue Nettie!!
I also bought some nice purple herringbone suiting with lurex threads for subtle sparkle, and I was thinking about making By Hand London's Anna dress (knee length), but Hubs got me Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing for Christmas and I'm thinking about making her Wiggle dress instead.  Any thoughts??


8 comments

  1. Great list! I just ironed up that same polka dot shirting from Blackbird for an Archer. I think it will make delicious Bruyere - can't wait to see it! I love everything you have lined up. I'd use the herringbone for the wiggle dress. Anna is a fabulous dress though too! I'm excited to see all your projects soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purple herringbone wiggle dress and the same dotted fabric in a button down - great mines think alike!! Can't wait to see your Archer!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your Bruyere. The fabric looks gorgeous. I've made two Bruyeres and wear them all the time. It's a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bruyere is so pretty and feminine, I've loved it since the second the pattern was released! I hope I will get a lot of wear out of it.

      Delete
  3. The Blackbird fabric looks gorgeous! I think the Bruyere will look amazing on you. As well as the Nettie with the Betsy skirt. I'd use the herringbone for the skirt. Looking forward to them being made up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've never been super drawn to button down shirts but the Bruyere is so sweet and feminine, I think it's a really pretty take on the button down. Stay tuned! It might take me a while though! :)

      Delete
  4. It sounds like 2015 is going to be a lot of sexy for you, Sylvie!! It sounds like a lot of perfect fabric + pattern matching. I also have a dot fabric for my bruyere. Mine is about half done and I can't wait to get back to it, but have had some projects to make first before I can start on it again. I've already picked out some more shirting to make another!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know your thoughts! Leave a comment here.