Anyway, in order to start matching my plaids, I turned to the ever smart people at Coletterie and Sewaholic for their trusty tutorials. They both have different approaches and sometimes one will speak more clearly to me than the other. In this case it wasn't about which one was more clear, it was simply which one seemed easier! I went with the tutorial from Coletterie which shows you to lay out your fabric flat, cut one piece, then flip it over and match it. Cut, flip, match. Then I switched to the tutorial on Sewaholic, and conveniently Tasia was making a cape too. Score! This helped me with my side pieces because they are curved and otherwise wonky. I'm not entirely sure that my side seams will match beautifully, but the front, back and corresponding side pieces match to each other. The back mirrors the front, the collar matches the back. So, I'll look perfect from at least two sides instead of all four. Also I decided to cut my welt pocket pieces on the bias right on top of a plaid square so I'll get cute little diagonal lines. Adorbs. I could tell when I had my pieces nicely matched because they practically became invisible on top of my fabric, as you can see here.
I apologize for the poor lighting. My husband is a vampire.Bonus! I finished off my first spool of thread! Go me! That must mean I am really becoming an expert.
Once I started sewing together the pieces, I took more care to line up the plaid than to match notches and such. I am pretty happy with how my matching is turning out!
IZSOPRETTY.I may have stared at this for an entire night pleased as punch with myself for doing this. Woo!